How To Get a Visa To Bali, Indonesia

Updated: Nov 1, 2019

Bali is an island in Indonesia so to visit or stay there you'll need to get a visa into Indonesia. While the article below describes the most common visa options, if you plan to stay in Bali or Indonesia for longer than 60 days, it is smarter to plan your visa needs in advance as you'll save a lot of money on unnecessary travel and visa fees. Schedule your free pre-departure consultation now and we will discuss visa options that are the best fit for you family. Here are some of the common options to consider.


Free 30 day Tourist Visa You can obtain a 30 day free visa upon arrival at the airport in Indonesia. This visa does not come with the option to extend your stay. Be sure to check the stamp in your passport to ensure no surprises on departure. If you overstay the current price in 1 million Rp per day per person.

Visa on Arrival (VOA) When arriving in the airport, before passing through immigration you can purchase a 30 day extendable to 60 days VOA for $38USD. You then go to the shorter Visa on Arrival line and receive a special stamp in your passport. Be sure to keep your boarding pass with you it’s occasionally asked for. Prior to your 30 day stay you will need to visit an Immigration office to extend for the additional 30 days. This process runs very smoothly with the Terrific Lifestyle’s visa agent you can be in and out in 15min!

Social Visa This 6 month visa must be obtained before entering Indonesia and will allow you to enter the country for 60 days and then you must extend your stay 4 times for 30 days to toal 6 months. With Terrific Lifestyle’s visa agent all your extensions can be processed during just one 15min visit to immigration. This visa is a single entry and will automatically end if you leave Indonesia before 180 days.

Business Visa This 1 year visa allows you to have multiple entries to Indonesia and stay up to 60 days each time. It enables you to earn an income while in Indonesia. While you cannot earn a salary locally or be employed or contracted by any local company this will allow you to work online or offer your own limited services. This visa is recommended for digital nomads, online services, run a AirBnB, import/export, manufacturing on Bali etc. The cost for this visa can be around $600 depending on your agent or ½ that if you do the work yourself prior to coming to Indonesia.

Multiple Entry Visa This is a great way to come to Bali often and

stay each time up to 60 days. Process, costs and validity etc is exactly the same to the Business Visa, you are just not allowed to do any business related work in Indonesia. It's purely for visit and tourist purpose. 

Retirement Visa If you are at least 55 years of age; have proof of health and life insurance, proof of pension—a minimum of roughly $1,520 per month, or at least a lump sum of $18,270 to provide living expenses while in Bali you are able to apply for this visa. By acquiring this visa you’ll be able to stay in Bali for one year and renew for five more.

KITAS (Kartu Izin Tinggal Sementara) KITA= Temporary Stay Permit Card. It allows you to work in Indonesia and have your children in school. To obtain KITAS you need a sponsorship from a company. Your company of employment will have to APPLY for your KITAS.  The work permit is called IMTA (which you can get after you have your KITAS). The KITAS can be valid for either 6 to 12 months and needs to be renewed. The company must be a legal business entity that is allowed to hire a foreigner.

You'll also need a medical and travel insurance: we recommend a very cost effective travel insurance called SafetyWing. It's paid monthly and kids under 10 are free! You can get it here.

Get the full details on ALL the visa options so you can choose smartly and save hundreds of $$$ by avoiding unnecessary flights for visa runs and visa fees by clicking below and getting the Ultimate Guide to Moving to Bali:

49 views0 comments